Sorare, the crypto fantasy football game, has captured the attention of football fans and cryptocurrency traders across the globe. If you are not familiar with fantasy football or cryptocurrency, it can be a bit tricky to get your head around the combination of these two aspects in the online game. Since money is involved, playing Sorare without understanding the game could cost you more than just a few player cards. Luckily, the rules are fairly simple and there are plenty of free resources available to improve your game performance.
The first step to joining the Sorare community is creating a free account on Sorare.com. To sign up, users need to choose an avatar, a team name and potentially a team logo. As part of the signup tutorial, users need to complete certain tasks to familiarise themselves with the platform and earn rewards. New users receive a free pack of digital collectable cards to start playing Sorare.
Sorare has coined various terms that describe specific in-game attributes. Some of the most frequently used terminology you will encounter when getting started on Sorare may include the following:
- Collectable: This refers to the digital player cards that each represent a real-life football player. The non-fungible token (NFT) cards are based on the Ethereum blockchain.
- Entry: This refers to the submission of a team compiled by a user to participate in an in-game tournament. Additionally, ‘Entry period’ refers to the period during which a user is permitted to enter one or more teams in a given tournament.
- Football manager: Sorare players are generally categorised into three profiles depending on their focus and interest. This includes the collectors, the traders and the gamers. Collectors are dedicated to securing player cards that are of particular value to them; traders buy and sell cards at a profit, and gamers set their aim on assembling the strongest teams to win prizes in tournaments.
- Team: To enter tournaments, fantasy football teams as composed by users must consist of five different collectables, including at least one goalkeeper, one defender, one midfielder and one forward.
- Tournament: This refers to in-game leagues that are organised and hosted by the Sorare platform. Participants can enter teams to win prizes and ether (ETH).
Crypto fantasy football rules
The basic rules of the Sorare game are as follows:
- Users must be at least 18 years old to play.
- Users may only have one account on the Sorare platform.
- Users must hold at least five player cards to compose a team for entry in tournaments. Each collectable may only be used in one team at a time. There is no limit to how many teams can be composed and entered in tournaments.
- Specific entry requirements for each tournament may vary.
- The best teams in each tournament receive awards. Prizes include collectables (the scarcity and value of which will depend on the tournament and the winner’s rank) and ETH, which is automatically transferred into the recipient’s wallet.
- To win in the Global All-Star Division 4 (ASD4), participants must finish with 205+ points to earn 0.01 ETH (roughly 35$) or 250+ points to earn 0.02 ETH (roughly 70$).
- Other tournaments award prizes to the top three teams. The team that finishes a tournament with the most points (the sum of each player’s individual score) will win the round. A scoring system that includes goals, assists, clean-sheets, shots on target and tackles for defenders, is used to award points during tournaments. In-game scores are based on the real-life performances of the players who are represented by the cards. Additional factors such as the experience and rarity of the given card also affect the score.
Digital player cards
Collectables are available in limited quantities per season. The player cards are categorised into four levels of scarcity:
- Limited: 1,000 released per season
- Rare: 100 released per season
- Super Rare: 10 released per season
- Unique: 1 released per season
The value of each card is determined by the performance of the player as well as the scarcity of the collectable. Limited cards were only recently introduced in the game to increase the number of available cards to play with as well as making the game more accessible to a wider audience.
Collectables can be purchased and sold on the open marketplace. Once a card is priced by the seller and added to the marketplace, it is available for purchase. If unsold, the offer expires after 48 hours. The seller may then revise the price and enter the market again. The Sorare platform uses ETH as a currency, although users can top up their in-game wallet with their local currency, or alternatively use a crypto wallet to make purchases.
Sorare has various weekly tournaments to take part in. When participating in tournaments, players can gain XP to increase their value. Player cards that are not entered in tournaments can be placed in training to gain XP even when they are benched. The following leagues are currently available to enter on Sorare:
- Rookie League: Limited to new users for eight game weeks with common cards and a maximum of two rare cards.
- Global All-Star: Available to all users and all cards with no entry limits.
- Global Under 23: Limited to players under the age of 23.
- Champion Europe: Limited to players from Bundesliga, La Liga, Ligue 1, Premier League and Serie A.
- Challenger Europe: Available to all European teams that do not qualify for the Champion Europe tournament.
- Champion Asia: Limited to players from the K-League and J-League.
- Global Unique: Limited to Unique cards only.
- Special Weekly: Available on special occasions with varying entry requirements.
- Special Training: Available for training and XP to all unused players.
SorareSharp is a leading mobile app for crypto fantasy football managers on Sorare. With auction alarms, player news and projected lineups, SorareSharp helps players achieve better trading results while saving time and easily tracking profits. The app is available for download on Google Play and App Store.